Simon Bell was a Wellington climber and TTC alpine instructor. He was last seen at Esquilant Bivvy on January 14, 2015. He had intended to climb the west to east face of Mt Earnslaw.
Simon gained a great deal from his membership of the Tararua Tramping Club, the Wellington Section of the NZAC and the Canterbury Mountaineering Club. He learned mountaineering skills through club courses, went on many trips and made good friends.
He enjoyed sharing his experiences and love of the mountains through trip reports, presentations and AIC instruction. In helping others to develop mountaineering skills and foster a love of the mountains, this Scholarship honours Simon's memory.
Applicants may be students of AIC or TTC alpine instructors undertaking further training.
To assist recipients to participate in TTC's alpine instruction or another appropriate NZ climbing instruction course e.g. NZAC high alpine skills course or recognised alpine instructor training.
Value $500 per award, with two awards per year for 10 years.
Criteria for awards
- Leadership in the outdoors or a desire to improve the ability to lead.
- Perseverance and the desire to overcome challenges and improve.
- Commitment to improving personal safety and/or the safety of others, while climbing.
- Commitment to help other climbers through volunteering.
- Passion for climbing.
- Any TTC member or prospective member may apply for a scholarship award.
- The closing date for the next applications for awards is Mon 2024-08-12
- Awards are not based on the technical merit of applicants, but on the applicant's personal attributes and with regard to their financial need.
- To apply, please complete this form, there are six questions that will help us understand your relationship with the Mountains, and how this award would help you.
- Applications for award will be considered by a selection panel comprising:
- Paul McCredie -> mailto:ttc [period] chief [period] guide [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on 021 477 617 (Chief Guide)
- Piers Harris -> mailto:alpine [period] instruction [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on 021 204 7069 (AIC convenor)
- Bharat Pancha -> mailto:youth [period] programme [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on 027 313 0130 (Youth group coordinator)