This is the Social Committee Guide for Setting up the audio-visual equipment for hall users and for joint Online and Clubroom meetings.
The club provides the following equipment for use at club nights and for in some cases for hire:
- ceiling mounted data projector
- Windows laptop, Microsoft office, file viewing software, and wireless mouse
- presenter's light
- sound (public announcement) system with wired and wireless microphones
These instructions will also assist hall users who use their own laptop.
Meeting hosts should have a key to the presentation cabinet.
- unlock the presentation cabinet
Large and small plastic tubs in the cabinet contain the equipment required for presentations using the laptop, data projector, and the wired microphone. Please ensure everything is returned to these tubs.
Laptop and cable setup
Please follow these instructions to start and cable a laptop.
- plug the laptop power adaptor into wall socket below the stage and into the laptop
- open the laptop and switch on
- plug the HDMI cable into the stage panel and the laptop, this connect the laptop with the data projector
- plug the audio cable into the stage panel and the laptop if required, this connects the laptop with the sound system, if using the data projector for sound this step is not required
- set up the presenter's light if required, plug into a laptop USB port
Visual display equipment
- turn on projector and stereo switches on wall to the right of the stage
- press the power button on remote control, aiming it at projector mounted on ceiling.
- the light under projector should change from red to green and flash several times and then stay on.
Sound system console
The sound equipment console is a located on the back wall of hall.
- Turn on sound box at wall (right switch) in front and below the console
- open sound box with key in kitchen cupboard (pink colour tag labelled PA #4)
- check blue power light is on (far right)
- check power button is on under Crown sign
Microphones for the sound system
Obtain the lapel and wireless microphones from the audio equipment top drawer in the sound console box at the rear of the hall (yellow colour tag labelled Data #1)
- on the grey transmitter unit press and hold the power button at top until green light shows
- press again for red light (on hold)
- hold green button down to Go
- check the wireless microphones' battery levels using the indicator at the sound console, replace batteries if necessary
- #2 is the handheld microphone
- #4 is the headset or lapel microphone
Any problems – see the troubleshooting guide
Give the speaker the grey transmitter unit with clothing clip. They can clip the transmitter to their belt or pocket and the lapel microphone somewhere near their throat or collar. Make sure the microphone is facing up toward their face and not rubbing against their clothing.
- the wired microphone's cord is plugged in at wall under the stage (to allow multiple speakers to pass mic easily from one to another)
- all microphones can be operated simultaneously
Assist the speaker
Show the speakers how to use the equipment
- see the presenter's guide for details
- see the file viewers for presentations guide if the presenter is not using PowerPoint
Ensure that the slide show and if needed the sound and video is working prior to the club-night starting
- ensure the slides can be seen on the screen as well as the laptop
- press Fn+F8 or Windows+P to select displays (laptop LCD/projector/both)
Assist the speaker with any technical issues which arise
- if issues do arise, document what happened, how to avoid it in future, update these instructions, and share with the social and general committees.
Open the online meeting from the Google Meet icon on the laptop's desktop, this will open the Chrome browser
- join the meeting (do not select "present now")
- the browser should already be logged in as user "
ttc.presentation", otherwise log in as this user TTC-Presentation
- after joining the meeting choose Present Now
- select Full screen and choose the screen displaying through the data projector
- turn the audio and video on and off as required
See also the online meeting presenters guide
Hosting the online meeting
It is helpful to have additional people hosting the meeting online to:
- admit participants
- assist participants with using the Meet application
- pass on questions to the speaker, or issues to Social Committee
This can be done on the browser on a home PC, or on an app on a phone. Install the Meet app on your mobile device. To admit participants requires that you are invited to the meeting through the calendar invite, and that you have a TTC email address.
- join the meeting
- accept requests to join the meeting, note we request that participants use their real name
- use the Chat function to
- welcome attendees,
- answer any Chat messages
- relay questions to the speaker after the talk (this requires someone at the clubnight to join the meeting)
Monitoring the online meeting
It is useful to have someone in the hall join the meeting using the app their phone and headphones to ensure the presentation can be seen and heard by our online attendees.
- open the app and join the meeting
- turn off the microphone and camera in the app
- use headphones to monitor the audio from the meeting, or if no headphones mute the app
If the presentation is lost
- reshare the screen, or
- get the presenter to rejoin the meeting
If the sound is lost
- turn the laptop microphone on
Shutting down the equipment
- power down the projector using the remote control
- shut down the laptop
- turn off and sound console
- return plastic tubs back to the presentation cabinet
- lock the presentation cabinet and sound box and return any keys as needed
- shut off the power to the Projector and Stereo at the wall switches to the right of the stage
- remove any USB drives from the laptop using the icon at the bottom right of the screen that shows a USB plug and green dot to “safely remove hardware and eject media” to ensure nothing is damaged in the process, or remove after shutdown
- move any files or folders the speaker may have placed on the desktop to the presentation folder in the documents folder
- shut down the computer by pressing the power key briefly. This will close any open files and exit from any running programmes before powering down; let it run its course
- unplug all cables and return to plastic tubs
- switch off the mouse
- check power is turned off on wireless microphones
- return the wireless microphones to drawer in sound box