by Bill ‘Hi ho’ Wheeler
As handed down from my grandmother; my mother having emigrated from Wales when six years old.
2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 50g butter, 50g lard, ⅓ cup sugar, ⅓ cup currants, ¼ tsp mixed spice, ¼ tsp salt, 1 egg, 2 tbsp milk.
- sift the flour, baking powder, salt and spice into a bowl
- rub in the fats until the mixture is as fine as bread crumbs
- beat egg lightly and stir into the mixture
- add just enough milk to make a stiff dough
- knead a few times to get it smooth then roll or pat out lightly to 12 mm thickness
- cut into rounds about five cm diameter
- heat frypan to 180°C and lightly grease with butter or lard
- place the cakes on this and cook uncovered for about three or four minutes then turn and cook the other side for a similar time