Dried Fruit Scones
3 cups wholemeal flour 3 heaped tsp baking powder 1 tblsp sugar 60 gm butter or olive oil 250 gm dates, raisins crystallised ginger 1 egg 1 cup milk.
- preheat oven to 200°C
- mix the dry ingredients
- rub in butter (olive oil is easier)
- beat the egg and milk together and add to the dry ingredients
- tip onto a bench and knead lightly (hands and bench coated in white flour)
- fold over and pat or roll flat (to about 250 mm square and 10 mm thick)
- cut into 16 squares
- place on baking paper on a tray. brush with milk
- bake at 200°C for about 15 minutes (opening the door a couple of times to let steam escape)
- mix the dry ingredients the previous night and do the rest at breakfast time, if you are
leaving for a trip next morning
They are best consumed within hours of baking.