add trail to roles pages
Role description: Roll Secretary
Date last updated: April 2020
Current holder: Christine Whiteford -> mailto:ttc [period] clubroll [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on (04) 475 3880
What the job achieves for the Club (results)
- reduces the workload of the Secretary by taking on delegated authority to maintain a register of club members - the membership roll.
- keeps the membership roll
- facilitates postal mailings to members and trip leaders, leader details on fixture card, subscription gathering, and membership enquiries.
Suitable skills and experience for the job
- Knowledge and understanding of the process flows involved in membership changes.
- Manage a database or spreadsheet type system
Availability and Reliability
- monthly production of labels
- ability to liaise with and understand needs of other Club officers (distribution, secretary, webmaster, tramper editor)
What the job involves (tasks)
- Record details from applications for membership
- pass applications and roll entry detail to new membership coordinator for cross checking and notification of new members.
- Update details of members to reflect any notified changes, including resignations.
- Print labels for distribution of club publications. This includes for distribution to non members (e.g. other clubs), for which reason details of those are also kept in the roll.
- Timing and breakdown into groupings (always post, with/without FMC, fixture card etc) coordinated with publications distribution officer generally for last (sometimes first) Tuesday of the month (Feb-Dec)
- Provide the list of published member names and telephone numbers (annually)
- This is usually done soon after removal from the roll of members deemed to have resigned for not paying subs
- should go out with December (optimistically November) Tramper.
- Assist the Subscriptions Treasurer in preparing subscription notices and tracking subscription payments and in advising GC of those whose membership should be terminated for non payment.
- Subscription notices must be ready to go with June Tramper.
- Provide a record of membership numbers in each category as at the end of the Club year to the membership through the Annual Report. This to be done as soon as practical in June (after processing any already notified end of year resignations).
- Provide the fixture card committee with the details of members necessary to prepare the fixture card and periodically provide updated details so trip leaders can be mailed.
- Ensure the secretary and other club officers have access to a backup of the roll details.
- As identified in tasks above.
Special equipment needed
Although previously a paper and "addressograph" system has been used, a "personal computer" system (or similar) is effectively essential for maintaining role and printing labels (or envelopes).
- As an Incorporated Society TTC is required to maintain a register of certain details of its members.
Authorities (financial and other)
(What the office holder has permission or authority to do without asking General Committee)
- Purchase of labels, cost should already be included in the general budget.
- Members' details can be used for club administration, e.g. electronic report of all current names/addresses/telephone numbers for fixture card administration, annual listing of members telephone numbers - when permission given.
- To refuse to supply details of member(s) to any other person, organisation or its representative, or for purposes unrelated to the Club.
Things that need approval from General Committee
- Requests for details outside the scope of Authorities(2) may be referred to GC but approval to release those details would generally not be expected or wanted.
- Liaison coordinator must get details of any relevant membership changes (some may only be proposed or requested at that stage) which may have come directly to the roll secretary (i.e. would otherwise be unknown to GC) prior to monthly GC meeting
- Liaison coordinator must any provide forms from successful applicants for membership after each GC meeting together with details of any other membership changes notified to or made by GC at the meeting.
- Liaison coordinator to provide subscription detail and any special detail for subscription notices.
- Whether via the Liaison coordinator or otherwise the roll details and application forms for new members has to be passed to the new member coordinator to cross check and arrange for their welcome as a new member.
The roll secretary is involved in several overall processes and as for other ones it is important that once "job descriptions" are complete for all positions someone (the relevant coordinator(s) on the first new GC ?) follows through to ensure the descriptions are consistent (eg no missing or duplicated tasks) with the process.
As an example in terms of membership I see a direct relationship and process flow:
- Rules define membership criteria and Club Policies provides discretional detail that is reflected in TTC advertising (printed, online etc) and application form.
- prospective member fills form
- subs $ to treasurer & application form to roll secretary
- at this stage all the previous scrutiny ensures form is complete
- roll secretary enters detail into roll. A copy of that detail and the signed off application form goes to new membership coordinator
- new membership coordinator cross checks detail and form.
- new membership coordinator contacts new member, prepares new member "handout" and coordinates presidential presentation of that