add trail to roles pages
Role description: Clubroom’s Convenor
Current Holder: Pete Smith
Booking Officer: Brent Harrison -> mailto:ttc [period] clubrooms [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on (04) 479 3306
What does your role accomplish for the club?
- Overall management of the clubrooms including capital works, maintenance and financial management
What are the main task the clubrooms committee does?
- prepare a five year rolling budget of the work program for the clubrooms, with maintenance kept to within an annual average of 1.5% of capital value.
- carry out maintenance and repairs where necessary in a timely manner or liaise with certified tradesmen to carry out this work.
- for major work(where expenditure is several thousand dollars) eg painting of clubrooms, re-roof - prepare a works specification and get various quotes before selecting tradesmen.
- maintain furniture and fittings for the clubroom.
- schedule Work Parties where necessary and ensure necessary equipment and materials are on hand for such.
- verify accounts before payment.
- manage the renting of the clubrooms and carparks, ensure any problems with tenants are resolved, monies collected and passed to the Treasurer
- liaise with the cleaner, setting timing of work done and rates of pay.
- manage the key register for the clubrooms
Learning about what the job involved?
- involved in clubroom work parties and became more involved when on General Committee
- took on the job of finding out why the clubrooms insurance costs were skyrocketing and mechanisms to reduce that – which involved strengthening the sub-frame to prevent earthquake damage.
What skills and experience are needed for this role?
- good home handyman skills
- commitment to complete repairs urgently when required
- good communication skills
Relationship with the General Committee
- financial – timely approval of the budget
- quarterly report on income and expenses
- if there is a level of expenditure that needs GC approval then it needs to be stated. There is nothing at present. If this is provided in the budget, there needs to be a process where this information is passed from Finance Committee to GC for GC to approve. It should not be up to the convener to have to resubmit.
- used to provide monthly updates, but from the review, I feel that this is operational and therefore not required and where necessary I should inform the club through the Tramper. In the past I used to bounce ideas off GC when I was unsure, but again probably will not continue to do that.
- if GC wish to have anything provided at GC meetings they need to specify the parameter of what they want reported.
- major alterations to the clubrooms. Anything outside my brief as convener. When it is not budgeted.
- anything within brief or budget. eg paint clubrooms any colour
- any building changes have to met the statuary building code requirements
- any renting out has to ensure that the renters do not make excessive noise to the neighbourhood and that we are good neighbours
- while there is no detailed noise restrictions recorded, the Tenancy Agreement states that the hall should not be used in a noisy, noxious or offensive manner that could create annoyance to local residents. In this regard the purpose of use for rental is monitored.
- a small committee with no politics. I take pride in the work I do and believe I can provide a service to the club.
- to have a timetable to when budgets are approved and be informed as such.
- in the past I have had to delay maintenance on the clubrooms for a whole year waiting to know whether the Clubrooms budget was approved. This is most frustrating. Now I carry on regardless and never know whether the budget has been amended approved or whatever. So I really do not know what value preparing a budget is the Clubroom’s committee.
Any other comments?
- Maintenance Records of when work is done and other pertinent information is kept in a folder , presently at the convener’s house.
- The only Asset Schedule kept is only for insurance purposes.