Centenary Week Events
These are the events we enjoyed during our centenary week
Sun 30 June : Centenary Tramp
Tue 2 July : Club Night
- Location: Clubrooms; 7-8:30pm
A Centennial exposé, Sean Buchanan peeled back the covers on the last ten years to reveal his thoughts about the club, memorable trips, and to imagine what the future might hold.
Wed 3 July : Public History talk
- Location: National Library, Molesworth Street, 12-1pm.
Shaun Barnett and Chris Maclean speak about the book for the Manatū Taonga Ministry of Culture and Heritage
Wed 3 July : Centenary Book Launch
- Location: The Ward, SPCA Wellington Centre, 140 Alexandra Rd, Mt Victoria, 6-9pm
Our club celebrated our 100 years of tramping history published in a beautiful book, "Leading the Way", written by Shaun Barnett and Chris Maclean. We mixed and mingled with friends over beer, bubbles and finger food. The authors spoke before the official launch by Denise Church QSO, club member and recent Chair of Zealandia.
Our good friends at Bivouac provided spot prizes for the evening.
Thurs 4 July : Centenary Afternoon Tea
- Location: TTC Clubrooms, 4 Moncrieff Street; 1-4pm
This was a lovely chance to meet and chat to old friends in our wonderfully refurbished clubrooms and see the glorious landscape, cloud and lightening stained glass windows that sweep the room. Afternoon tea was provided. A short selection of old tramping films was shown by Paul McCredie.
Sat 6 July : Centenary Dinner
- Location: Pipitea Marae, 55 Thorndon Quay, Wellington; 6pm
- Guest Speaker : Jan Findlayson FMC President
- MC : Paddy Gresham
- Dinner : a delicious buffet selections including GF and V; also live music from Murray Giblin(approve sites), tramping songs, and cash bar
Celebrate years of tramping memories with tramping friends. An entertaining night assured.
- 2019-06-30-Centenary Tramp Mt Kaukau Photos from the TTC Centenary Tramp Johnston Hill to Mt Kaukau
- 2019-07-01-Centenary Slide Show-Earlier Photos from the Centenary Slideshow - Early TTC
- 2019-07-01-Centenary Slide Show-Later Photos from the Centenary Slideshow - Later TTC
- 2019-07-01-Centenary Slide Show-Other Photos from the Centenary Slideshow Other TTC
- 2019-07-02-Centenary Club Night Photos from the Centenary Club Night
- 2019-07-03-Centenary Book Launch Photos from the Centenary Book Launch
- 2019-07-03-Centenary Book Launch-Digital Ninja Photos from the Centenary Book Launch by Digital Ninja
- 2019-07-03-Centenary Public History Talk Photos from the Centenary Public History Talk at the National Library
- 2019-07-04-Centenary Afternoon Tea Photos from the Centenary Afternoon Tea
- 2019-07-06-Centenary Dinner Photos from the TTC Centenary Dinner
- 2019-07-06-Centenary Dinner-Digital Ninja Photos from the Centenary Dinner by Digital Ninja
TTC Centenary in the media
On Radio New Zealand - podcasts
- Shaun Barnett and Chris Maclean - The history of New Zealand's first tramping club interview with Kim Hill
- Harry Broad reviewing Leading the Way
- Century of tramping the Tararuas Eli Hill, Jul 1, 2019
FMC Press release
- From hand-adzed huts to internet MeetUps - 100 years of tramping in the Tararuas Nikki Macdonald, Jul 06, 2019
Centenary organising committee
The Centenary organising committee members were: Patrick Arnold, Paul Maxim (chair), Kristy Johnstone, Christine Whiteford, and Carol Kelly.