One of the best ways of learning the skills needed for going into the hills is to get yourself a Bushcraft Instruction course run by the Club. They're also a really great way of getting to know others who are new to the club or are relatively inexperienced.
The TTC Bushcraft 2019 training dates are:
|24 September||Bushcraft Theory 1|
|1 October||Bushcraft Theory 2|
|8 October||Bushcraft Theory 3|
|15 October||Bushcraft Theory 4|
|26 - 28 October||Bushcraft Weekend|
|3 November||Post-Bushcraft 1|
|17 November||Post-Bushcraft 2|
A range of bushcraft skills, and lots of practical information and advice will be provided. A safe and supportive environment with friendly instructors will be provided to help you get the most out of tramping in the New Zealand bush.
Who is the course for?
The course is for people who are new to tramping or just want to build their confidence. Itís also a great way to meet new people. Participants are required to become a member of the Tararua Tramping Club.
What will you learn
Courses are run by experienced people who will provide you with the latest techniques and will cover such things as:
- what's hot and what's not in food;
- clothing and equipment;
- map-reading and using a compass;
- river crossing;
- basic first aid;
- environmental awareness; and
- trip planning and safety.
How fit do you need to be?
Participants need to be able to complete 10km per day carrying a light weight pack, and will be organised into groups of a similar fitness. Please contact us if you are unsure about your fitness.
How much does it cost?
TTC Bushcraft costs $TBA this year. Food and the club membership fee are not included in the cost. The course fee covers items such as the MSC Bushcraft manual, a pack liner, accommodation, maps, transport, and cooker fuel.
We have high quality Silva compasses available at a very competitive price.
The completed enrolment form, course fee ($TBA) and membership in the club (or submitted membership application form) are required to secure your place on the course. MSC Bushcraft manuals will be issued at the first meeting.
Please pay your fees by internet banking: 02-0500-0022732-00. Under the Statement Details put and your for Bushcraft fees, and and your for your membership fee.
- Please use the online enrolment form.
- visit our Joining page and complete our online membership application form
If you want to find out more about it - whether or not you are a club member:
- just contact Peter Barber -> mailto:ttc [period] bushcraft [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query%20from%20TTC%20website on 027 750 5443 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- if you prefer to meet and talk, our New Members evening is TBA at TTC Hall in Moncrieff St., Mt. Victoria, Wellington; there will be a short presentation about the course, and a chance to talk afterwards.