This page is part of the Bushcraft organisation information.
Bush 1: one day field trip instructors checklist
Clubrooms booked until 1pm.
Read the Leader Notes.
Morning in the clubrooms
Cover map and compass skills (Refer to examples and exercises)
Maps available for exercises in the morning: (Maps in Bushcraft cupboard)
- Wellington BQ31 1:50,000 Topo50 (students keep this copy)
Organise who is going to present what aspects of the lecture.
Afternoon in the Belmont Hills
Bush 1 instructors notes below for ideas for the afternoon Directions of how to get there.
Give out maps:
- Lower Hutt BQ32 (students keep the map)
- Paraparaumu BP32 (If the weather is fine, useful if you want to do distance bearings. Collect these maps back in)
Organise students into groups based on ability level. (Peter Barber -> mailto:ttc [period] bushcraft [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on 027 750 5443 will email info re students abilities and past experience to you.)
Assign instructors and assistant instructors to each group
- ask instructors to observe members of group closely and give feedback as to ability and whether they are suited to the group
- aim for similar experience and fitness in each group
Pass on any feedback to Leader for lecture 2 re changes in groups.
Keep a list of who are the drivers. Get account details. Money will be reimbursed at end of course to drivers either by internet banking. Email this info to Peter Barber -> mailto:ttc [period] bushcraft [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on 027 750 5443.
ACTIVELY INVOLVE THE TRAINEE INSTRUCTORS.
Bushcraft Course – Bush 1 Practical
From the car park follow the track up to Belmont trig. From there head down the ridge track to Baked Beans Bend and then down the stream to the intersection with Korokoro Stream. Head up Korokoro Stream to the dam and then continue up to the Oakleigh St./Stratton St./Belmont Trig junction you passed on the way up. Head back down to the car park.
Estimated times: (very rough)
- 1 hr to Belmont trig - lunch at the top
- 1.5 hr down to Korokoro Dam
- 1.5 hr back to car park
Suggested exercises to do on route:
At Oakleigh St./Stratton St./ Belmont trig junction:
- get them to predict arrival time at the trig based on current progress
- can they see Matiu/Somes Island – why not?
- identify Cannons Head, Belmont Road, peaks
- take bearings etc
At the trig:
Point out any flora and fauna you see on the way
Don’t go too fast or they may be a bit tired towards the climb at the end.
Directions for getting to Belmont Regional Park
- meet at the Stratton Street car park in Belmont Regional Park. BQ32 585 391
- directions: From the TTC clubrooms head out to Lower Hutt (along State Highway 2)
- turn left at the Maungaraki intersection (after the Korokoro intersection). Keep an eye out for a yellow A.A Belmont Regional Park sign.
- follow the main road up and over the hill for 3.2km and turn left into Stratton Street. (another yellow sign).
- keep left at the intersection another 0.4 km on, and continue along Stratton St.
- meet in the car park down by a stream on the left, a further 1.6km on. There is a Belmont Regional Park notice board in carpark.