Enrolment for TTC ISC 2017 is open. Please contact Henry Dengate-Thrush -> mailto:ttc-ski-instruction [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query%20from%20TTC%20website with any enquiries.
This course provides a general introduction to ski touring in off piste conditions.
This course is open to club members who wish to:
- Extend their skiing skills to backcountry, off piste conditions.
- Learn the fundamental skills needed to complete an easy grade ski tour in New Zealand's backcountry.
This year our course syllabus covers the following topics:
- Ski touring clothing, gear and equipment
- Skiing with a mentor to gain confidence skiing off the groomed slopes
- Tactical strategies to deal with difficult terrain and snow conditions
- Technique of skinning and transition to skiing and/or crampons
- Navigation, terrain assessment, and route planning
This year’s Intruduction to Ski Touring is comprised of one weekend of instruction at Mt Ruapehu in September 2017 preceded by a talk / meeting at the clubrooms in Wellington.
There will also be a trip following on from the course later in September to continue to practice the skills learned on the course.
All instruction is supervised with a ratio of one instructor to three participants.
Please read the info sheet for cost and other course details.
|Introductory Talk - clubrooms||Tues August 29|
|Instruction Weekend - Ruapehu TTC Lodge||Sept 2-3 (travel on Friday)|
|Follow up trip - TBC||Sept 9-10 (travel on Friday)|
- Talks are held at Tararua clubrooms, Moncrieff St, Mt Vic.
- Ruapehu weekends are based at the Tararua Lodge and leave Wellington Railway Station 5.30pm the day before the weekend.